Basic Work-Up of Infertility
Finding the specific medical reasons that cause infertility is the most important part of the medical evaluation. With the help of preliminary tests, we determine the course of treatment required for the couple. Cause of infertility in 40% cases is due to female and in another 40% cases is the male partner. However in 10% cases, it is due to both the partners.
The following tests are generally required for women:
1. Blood type, rhesus factor
2. Infectious screening ( VDRL (syphilis), HIV , Hepatitis B )
3. FBC (full blood count)
4. FSH, LH (hormone tests performed between the 1st and 3rd day of the menstrual cycle)
5. Prolactin and TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone ) in certain indicated cases.
6. AMH for ovarian reserve
“INFERTILITY IS THIS HUGE EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER. IF YOU WANT IN YOUR HEART MORE THAN ANYTHING TO HAVE A BABY, IT’S THE HARDEST THING YOU WILL EVER GO THROUGH PHYSICALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND FINANCIALLY”
Pelvic ultrasound and tubal patency are usually scheduled after your medical consultation.
The tests are generally required for men:
1. Semen analysis.
2. Blood type, rhesus factor
3. Infectious screening ( VDRL (syphilis), HIV , Hepatitis B )
4. FBC (full blood count)
5. FSH , LH , Estradiol , Prolactin , TSH , Testeterone ( case of zero sperm -azoospermia)